Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Give 'Em Hell!

If you don't stand up for yourself, no one else will.

For the past 2-3 weeks I have been fighting the food battle.  I have been trying to figure out a way to be allowed to order from the main cafeteria instead of the crummy menu that comes to my room everyday.  I have talked to nutrition, dietary services, a social worker and the antepartum unit manager.  It seems that I am the only person to ever make this request.  I don't know how some of the patients who have stayed here much longer than I have already (some 7 months!) have done it.  Everyone has tried to be more than helpful, but there just seems to be a lack of communication.  Finally, yesterday they brought me a modified menu from the main cafeteria where I can order from a different station each day.  Much better than my options before, but I still don't understand why I can't order what I want when I want...It seems like a simple concept to me...Tell me what's in the cafeteria and I tell you what I want...why do I have to be so limited?  I guess some progress is better than no progress at all. 

My lunch today was DELICIOUS...they are totally holding out on their patients here.  I think if the patients knew what they could have they would have a riot on their hands and I would have no problem being their leader! 

Yummie brisket and potato salad...I ordered coslaw, but they were out so I got a butt loat of potato salad

Banana pudding...I have been wanting this for a month!

Normally I LOVE pickles, but these were icky :-(

My second "Stick Up for Yourself" moment came this morning at 5:45am when the lab lady stormed in my room and flipped on the lights.  They really need some training on how to deal with sleeping patients and how to enter their room.  She came in to inform me that she was here to draw a CBC (complete blood count to check for infection and anemia).  No one had mentioned this to me before now and I had just had one done on Saturday which was perfect.  The lab lady preceded to tell me that they order these everyday and I told her "No they don't and you can go get the nurse".  My night nurse didn't know why they ordered the blood work (there was nothing written in the physician notes) and my physician and I discussed the results yesterday and he said everything was going on track and he wasn't concerned about anything.  Being a nurse I either thought there is something he is concerned about that he isn't telling me, which wouldn't surprise me since he says all of about 10 words every morning, or there has been a error.  Either way I expected a explanation and rationalization before I became their pin cushion.  Needless to say I pulled my "Right to Refuse" card and told the nurse I would discuss it with him this morning when he came in and if WE decided that I still needed the test the lab could come back.

When the doctor came in my room at 7:30 am the first thing is said is "How are you doing, besides being a typical nurse who questions my orders?"  I didn't answer his question, but if he knew how many errors I have seen physicians make he would know why I question all of his or any other physician's orders.  I communicated with him that he did not discuss ordering a CBC with me yesterday and that if he is going to order something I need him to tell me so I can ask questions and make sure we are on the same page.  He didn't like that too much and said "Well let me tell you something" (not kidding he said that!)..."I'm may be sitting at the computer and think to order something I didn't tell you and I'm too old to walk back over here to let you know".    I was very proud of myself and only told him that those things are important to me and I need to know.  Through our discussion and me questioning him of why he ordered the same lab test again so soon it came out that he was unaware that the doctor on call over the weekend had ordered the test and if he would have seen that he would not have ordered it.  I was honestly shocked that he admitted that he had missed it and gave him credit for being honest with me and told him "that's why I ask questions".  Let's just say I did not get another CBC done this morning...He may fire me as his patient, but I didn't get needless blood work done!

Brief update on the past week's excitment:

Hunter came to visit me on Sunday!  I wish he could stay all the time.



Jason surprised me yesterday (Valentines Day) at lunch with beautiful flowers and another box of chocolate covered strawberries...he sure does know how to make me happy.  He also took me for a wheelchair ride to Subway for lunch.  Not our most romantic Valentine's Day, but one we won't forget!

Flowers my mom brought me last week...she brings me a new bunch every week as a congratulations for making it one more week!  She also brought me a baby gift Sunday...a Coach baby bag!!!!!  I was so excited...I have wanted one of those before I even knew I was pregnant!


2 comments:

  1. Wow Julie, that is why everyone in the hospital needs an advocate! You saved pain, time, and money by being awear. Then the whole "institutional food" gamet! So if nurtrition is as important as, say, medications, why isn't there more concentration on what is served to the patients. Unappetizing food will NOT help a sick person get better, nor keep a healthy person well. The hospital dietition industry needs to be revamped. There now, that was my soapbox for the day. You go girl, making life better for all the moms to follow after you in antipartem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi julie,
    I've been keeping up with you and your babies and just had to respond to this post. I am so proud of you for taking up for yourself! I had a very dear friend who eventually died of breast cancer in 2001 but who taught me a valuable lesson when it comes to doctors. She said to her oncologist," YOU may see this every day and deal with this every day BUT it's the first time it's happened to ME..so I need to be treated like the first patient you have ever had." Needless to say, he was very shocked and taken aback but realized his bedside manner needed some work.Praying for you! Lynn

    ReplyDelete