Saturday, June 11, 2011

Busy Week!

This past week has been super busy...or at least it seemed that way!

Bennett had his hernia surgery on Tuesday and everything went as we had hoped.  He was able to have the surgery with a spinal block instead of general anesthesia.  It is a huge relief to have that behind him.  Just a update on the fit I had to throw to sit with him before surgery...I was able to go back to his room and sit with him until he went to surgery without another word said to me.  They didn't even move us to a isolation room and honestly I heard less during their "report" than I do when I'm up visiting Bennett during the day.  I think I made his night nurse mad because she requested an assignment change the next night, but if that's all it takes to get her upset she needs to toughen up a little.


Bennett in the isolette when he was born


Big baby in a little box...he has grown a ton since he was born!

















It was a little rough after Bennett came out of surgery once his spinal block wore off.  There was no comforting him and his nurse was no where to be found.  I asked the nurse at the other end of the room to call the doctor and get him some Tylenol and see if he could eat...all she did was go find the other nurse.  Bennett's nurse said they wouldn't want to give him anything for a few hours and I about came unglued.  He didn't have general anesthesia and there is no reason a baby should stay in pain for a few hours.  Finally she called the nurse practitioner when I requested something for his IV and the nurse practitioner agreed reluctantly to give him some Tylenol, but wouldn't make the call if he could eat so we had to wait 15 minutes for his doctor to get out of a business meeting.  There is something so wrong about a patient having to wait for a doctor to get out of  a business meeting.  We pay her literally $2000.00 a day to take care of Bennett...at that price I don't feel he should have to wait!  When she came to see Bennett she was fine with him eating and thankfully scheduled Tylenol for him for the next 2 days.  That made me feel better so I wouldn't have to leave it up to a nurse to decide if he was in pain or not after the experience I had just had.

Bennett all comfy and sleeping after surgery

The surgery seemed to set Bennett back a little.  He hasn't been finishing his bottles and that's the last thing he has to do to come home.  I think there are a few factors playing into him slowing down on his eating...he had surgery, they stopped his diuretics and he is only on 0.25L of oxygen.  Basically he is having to work harder than he ever has.  I got to talk to the pulmonologist Thursday evening and she seems very nice.  She agreed to turn his oxygen up to 0.5L while he eats to try to help him out.  She also said that Bennett will come home on oxygen and stay on it through winter.  She said that the oxygen will help him not work as hard, therefor not burn as many calories and in turn grow better which will help his lungs grow better too!  I'm hoping to get him started back on his diuretics today after we saw him last night.  He was more swollen and had gained about 4 ounces which is a lot for a day.

After 3 months I finally got a picture of him on a scale!

Wednesday my friend Katie and her mom were kind enough to come watch Blake so I could go see Bennett again.  He was much better and seemed to be getting back to his old self.


Bennett at 11 weeks old!

Blake at 11 weeks old!
Thursday night I had a "Mom's Night Out" with my friend Jennifer.  We went to a mom's event where they had the best products from birth-infancy.  It was a great night and everyone left with one of the products.  Unfortunately I drew a crummy number because they had some awesome prizes...10 Britax strollers, a crib, a Orbit baby stroller and tons more.  We got a support for the boys when we give them a bath...maybe it will keep them from being wiggly in the tub!  I had a great time and met other moms who had great advice.  I can't wait until the next event :-)



Yesterday was our 5 year anniversary...boy does time fly!  We took Blake for his first sleepover with my mom, went to Texas de Brazil and then went and spent some quality time with Bennett!  Best of all we slept ALL NIGHT!!!  What a treat :-)

All in all it was a great week and we are keeping our fingers crossed that next week will be better.  The doctor keeps telling us she thinks he will be home this next week!  That would be the best Father's Day gift for Jason that I could imagine!
Bennett's coming home outfit I had made yesterday!
My sweet boy just being cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment