Friday, March 25, 2011

Update on the Babies!

Our two little guys are such fighters and have come a long way in 2 days.  I am so proud of them!

Bennett is slowly making progress and the doctors are very pleased with how he is doing so far.  They are going to remove his chest tube this morning since his pneumothorax has not returned since they clamped it yesterday.  They have been able to turn down his blood pressure medication (Dopamine) to 9 from 11.  When they get his dopamine down to 5 they will be able to start feeding him breast milk.  Currently he is being fed TPN and Lipids (food and fats through a IV).  His lungs are still having issues, but they have been able to wean the amount of oxygen and nitric oxide he is on.  Currently he is on 27% oxygen on the high frequency ventalator (Room air is 21% oxygen and on the high frequency ventalator he gets 420 small gentle breaths per minute).  His nitric oxide is at 4 and they are working on decreasing it by 1 every 8 hours until he no longer needs it.  His face has started to round out and not look as smushed.  He finished his antibiotics yesterday and there are no signs that he got infected from being in a ruptured sac for so long, which in itself is a HUGE miracle!

Blake is still doing great.  He decided yesterday morning that he no longer wanted to be on his CPAP machine and took it off all by himself.  The nurses were impressed with how much he had to pull off.  They decided not to put it back on him since his oxygen level was 100% on room air!  He is tolerating his tube feeds much better and more milk is getting digested.  They are going to increase his feeds from 5cc to 10cc's every 3 hours today and we are going to get to feed him at his 11am feed this morning! 

I am starting to feel much better.  Everyday the pain improves and I look a little less like a old lady trying to walk around.  I got my IV out this morning and the doctor said we are looking at going home Sunday.  I have been here for 9 weeks now and I am anxious to go home, but now I want to stay here to be with the babies.  It's going to be very difficult to leave them here when we go home.

Here are some pictures from yesterday.  Jason spent some great quality with the boys yesterday while I took a nap.  He got to change Blake's diaper for the first time and was initiated into the Daddy club with a golden shower!
Blake without his CPAP!  He looks like a totally different baby since the swelling went down in his face.

Blake's first dress up session.  I couldn't resist!


Daddy changing his first of many diapers for Blake

Jason holding Blake.  He is a natural!

Blake is so happy and calm in Daddy's arms!

Bennett.  We can't hold him or touch him very much, but I can't wait for the day to come.  He is doing well with his isolette being covered to keep his enviornment dark and calm.  I am so proud of this little trooper.  I think he has my determination!

1 comment:

  1. WOW...What Lil Angels they are!! Congrats to you and Jason!! Your babies are beautiful. I will pray that they continue to improve everyday. Please let me know if you guys need anything. I can't wait to meet them.

    ReplyDelete