Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day

My first Mother's Day was such a blessing in so many ways.  First, I feel so fortunate to just be a mom, I realize I am lucky to have to my 2 boys here safe and sound after such a rocky start, and I finally realize the love of a parent...there is nothing else like it!


Blake got dressed up for dinner at Aunt Meredith's with the moms

First time Auntie M held Blake...he had to get a little bigger!

Mom, Dad and Blake...we all look a little tired!

3 generations!  I just wish MeMe were here to make it 4

For Mother's Day Blake and Bennett sent me flowers, got me cards and bought me a professional photographer set up with back drops and lights...they just thought I took a lot of pictures before...they have no idea what they are in for now!  Jason and my mom went to see Bennett...I haven't seen him in a week due to a cold.  I'm hoping to go sometime this week. 



The first time Mia held Bennett


Bennett is still doing great.  They turned his oxygen down to 3L and he is at 24-28%.  They are planning to turn his oxygen down every 3-5 days if he continues to do well.  They did a ultrasound of his head yesterday to check for brain bleeds again and everything came back normal.  Everyone tells me that he is so happy now that he has the CPAP off.  They have increased his feeds to 55 cc's and he is eating a little more often from his bottle.  He now weighs 6 pounds 6 ounces!  Jason weighed Blake on our scale the other night and he weighs 8 pounds!  They are growing so fast!  It's hard to believe I wasn't supposed to meet them until their due date this Friday (May 13th).

I found this on a preemie website and thought I would share it:

How God Picks Preemie Moms

Somehow, I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting His instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As He observes, He instructs His angels to make notes in a giant ledger.

"Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron saint, Matthew.
"Forest, Majorie, daughter. Patron saint, Ceceila.
"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron saint... give her Gerard. He's used to profanity.

Finally, He passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a premature baby."
The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."

"Exactly, " smiles God. "Could I give a premature baby a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel."

"But does she have patience?" asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it.

"I watched her today. She has that sense of self and independence that are so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I'm going to give her has his own world. She has to make it live in her world and that's not going to be easy."

"But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
God smiles, "No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."

The angel gasps, "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she'll never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child who comes in a less than perfect way. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied.

"She will never take for granted a spoken word. She will never consider a step ordinary. When her child says 'Mommy'' for the first time, she will be witness to a miracle and know it. When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see it as few people ever see my creations.

"I will permit her to see clearly the things I see - ignorance, cruelty, prejudice - and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."

"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, the pen poised in mid-air.

God smiles. "A mirror will suffice."

Being the mom of a preemie comes with it's challenges, but I feel like I got a special gift to watch my babies grow from a time that most don't get to experience!

2 comments:

  1. Very happy for you guys!! Happy Moms day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete