Monday, August 22, 2011

Good Times!

Things are starting to pick up and I can see the boys changing every day!  Blake is now reaching for things and putting them in his mouth...his favorite is the burp cloth, both boys are trying to pull themselves forward to sit up, Blake laughs almost on cue and Bennett is starting to chuckle (I almost got it on video last night)!  Things seemed to be at a stand still for quite a few, but now I'm afraid that time is going to fly by and I want to savor every moment.
I love how Bennett likes to sleep with his rear in the air!

Not my finest work, but I hadn't taken their picture with their monkey in a while...maybe next month they will be a little more put together!  It was just that kind of day!

We went to the GI doctor for Bennett today since he has been throwing up after quite a bit of his feeds for the past few weeks and got some of his medication changed around to hopefully help his reflux.  She told us not to rule of a fundoplication...basically they surgically make it to where he can't throw up.  If it comes to that point we will have to get a second and maybe a third opinion.  Right now we are going to try prevacid twice a day instead of once, erythromycin three times a day to help his stomach empty faster and we are going to mix his formula with a rice based formula to thicken it in hopes that it will make it more difficult for it to come back up.  I'm hoping we can get his reflux under control before we start solids in a month or two...I am really counting on him liking solids since he won't eat his bottles.  My greatest fear is we are going to have feeding issues for many years to come, but I'm still holding out hope!

Some great news for Bennett is we have been trying to wean him off of his oxygen and he has been doing great.  We had him off for almost 6 hours the other day and he didn't have any problems!  I'm hoping when we go back to the pulmonologist in October that she will tell us that he doesn't need his oxygen or at least that he can be without it during the day...I know it will make me a little nervous not to have it on him, but it will be so nice to freely move about the house with him!

Blake has been doing so much better with sleeping...I hate to put it out in the universe for fear that he will revert back to his old ways, but I am so proud of him.  He has only been getting up once at night, and since we only have to get up once to fill up Bennett's pump, Jason and I are beginning to feel human again.  It sure beats the nights where we were up 6 times in 8 hours!  I bought Blake a sound machine for his room and I don't know if that did the trick or if something just 'clicked', but he is going down a little easier for his naps too.  Our last battle was about a week ago where he cried for a hour and a half and only slept for 45 minutes.  The past few days I have been able to put him down awake and he is able to get to sleep on his own or with a little patting from mom!

Yesterday for the first time since both boys have been home Jason and I had a date.  We went to La Madeline for brunch and then went to see The Help.  It was nice to spend some one on one time with my sweet hubby.  We usually eat in shifts since dinner time is also bath and bed time for Blake and we usually don't go many place together since it's difficult to get both boys out at once.  I think once the movie was over though we both were missing our boys and couldn't wait to get home and see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment