Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Best Day EVER!

Bennett got his G-button Friday and this surgery was a much better experience than the last one.  They charge nurse let us pick the nurse that would have Bennett the day of his surgery and we made sure the doctor had orders waiting for him when he came back from surgery so we wouldn't have to wait for him to get pain medication.  Bennett came back to the NICU on the vent because he wasn't awake enough yet to breathe on his own, but within a hour he was off the vent and doing great!  He has had more pain after this surgery, but understandably so.



Yesterday morning about 10:30am I got the call to come pick Bennett up from the NICU!  We weren't prepared and Jason was at work because they told us he wouldn't come home until today, but there was no way we were leaving him there a day longer than we had to.  We finally got him home about 4:30pm yesterday afternoon and it made for one of the best days of our lives!

Jason and I knew we had twins, but the past 4 months have been like having 2 single children.  We had no idea what we were in for when we got them both together.  We had a few family members over for dinner last night and 2 little babies kept us all busy.  After dinner I asked my mom to stay the night and help us get settled today.  Jason and I focused on Bennett and getting all of his equipment squared away last night and my mom took care of Blake.  I'm not real sure what I will do when I am here by myself, but I know it will be better than having to go to the NICU everyday!
1st Graduation!



"Aunt GiGi" (one of Bennett's favorite nurses) did not want him to go

Time to say "Goodbye".  This is Vicky...she put in Bennett's PICC line after he had been in the NICU only a few days

First time outside!

We are so proud of our little guy!!

Gwen is one of the nurses in the NICU that made the entire experience as good as it could be.  She was always there for us.  I hope that I am as good of a nurse to my patients as she was to us!

First car ride
Our boys are together again!

"Ummmm...Dad I thought we left this guy somewhere??"

Hunter did not know what to think.  He has a hard time watching after both babies at once!

Holding my boys together for the first time!  The best feeling in the world :-)

Blake was worn out after all of the excitement!  He has gotten so big...
...look how little he was the day we brought him home!

Bennett spent his first night at home in our room!  He is a much quieter sleeper than Blake!


It has taken 4 of us today to feed the boys, change diapers, put them down for naps and try to organize all of Bennett's equipment.  This is our first moment of silence...Bennett is in his swing wide awake (there are too many new things to look at like celling fans!) and Blake is taking a nap in his swing. 

Our mini NICU...oxygen, feeding pump and oxygen monitor.  This was our first moment of silence today.  I just sat and stared at them.  I still can't believe they are together!

Yesterday and today rank in the top 5 days of my life.  I never thought I would be so excited and it's hard to stop looking at both of them in the same room at the same time.  When we left the NICU yesterday afternoon I got one big final reminder of how lucky we are.  A baby that has been in the NICU for over 6 months, and who's dad I see frequently when we scrub our hands before we see the babies, went home to heaven.  She had had a long battle with lung issues and was a twin as well.  I don't know all the details of her story, but it hit a little too close to home.  Anytime I feel overwhelmed I'm going to stop and think of that family and know that they would give anything to trade spots with us and I am so thankful we are not in their shoes because we very easily could have been.

The next few weeks will be crazy, but in a good way.  We get to move on with our lives and have our boys together.  We have quite a few doctor appointments over the next few weeks and hopefully we will have a routine down in the next month.  I feel like the luckiest person in the world that all of our prayers have been answered.  If we have gotten this far we can do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment