Monday, July 18, 2011

Where did the week go?

I only have a few minutes to post before the craziness ensues again...at the moment they are quiet and sleeping in their swings!

The past week has been very different than I imagined.  I thought we would bring Bennett home and he would fit right into our routine.  I should have known different...We have all had to fit into Bennett's routine, the way it has always been!

It has been wonderful to have our boys together and I love to sit and look at them when they are next to each other or put them in a crib together and watch them interact (sometimes it ends up with one of them hitting the other in the face and then the fun is over!).  I even said I would never dress them alike, but I must admit that it brings me extreme joy to see them in matching outfits!  They are just too darn cute.

Bennett had a rough start at home.  The day after we brought him home he started eating less and screaming uncontrollably every time we would feed him.  It got to the point I didn't want to feed him for the wrath that would soon ensue.  We changed his formula after a few days and that has helped a ton. He is back to our happy boy again who gets crabby from time to time.  All Bennett has done for the most part is sleep, sleep and sleep some more.  We have to set our alarm to wake up and feed him and some times he doesn't even wake up for that!  He is currently very sensitive to stimulation (even silence) and you have to move very slowly with him anytime you touch him.  He has gotten better over the past few days, so I hope it's just an adjustment to being in a different environment.  The baby I brought home from the hospital was not the baby I knew in the hospital, but he is starting to return!

Since Bennett has been home, Blake has not liked the fact that he is no longer a 'only child'.  He use to have a bewitching hour about 6pm everyday, now it just lasts all day.  He managed to run off 3 family members who were babysitting for us the other night in no time at all.  I don't think they will return unless I hand them a Valium at the door!

This week is loaded full of appointments for Bennett.  Today we are going to feeding therapy, tomorrow Early Childhood Intervention is coming to assess him and then they will start sending OT and PT to the house to work on therapy for his arms and feeding, Thursday we are going to Children's in Dallas for a appointment to get his arms looked at/splints made/x-rays taken and Friday is a well appointment for both boys. 

It will be August before we can turn around.  With twins it feels like our life is in warp speed.  It may have something to do with the extreme sleep deprivation.  If you can function on 4 hours of sleep broken into 30 minute segments please give me some tips!  Jason and I are both scared for him to go back to work next week.  I don't know how I will take care of both of them by myself and he doesn't know how he will function at work on such little sleep.  I'm sure we will figure it out and hopefully look back and laugh someday, although there was a lot of laughing yesterday out of pure exhaustion!

All in all it is great to have our family together.  We are beyond exhausted, but one smile from the boys and we forget all of the craziness for a moment and remember how lucky we are!

**I will upload picts later, have to get the peanuts ready for a busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment