Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Plan B!

Well we finally came to a point where we had to make a decision and we decided to try the inpatient feeding program at Our Children's House at Baylor versus getting a G-button at the current moment.  Bennett's reflux seems to be better since they changed his formula, but the formula is so thick and harder to digest (I'm sure there are a few other reasons too...) that he still isn't eating well.  His feeding tube went back in on Sunday because he was eating less and less again and he was getting more and more tired.  Bennett has finally convinced us that he may in fact need a G-button, but this will be our last attempt to avoid it.  Originally they wanted us to commit 3-5 weeks with them and I think that is the main reason we were so hesitant.  I called them this morning and told them we couldn't commit that amount of time due to emotional, psychological, physical and financial reasons, but that we could give them 10 days of inpatient therapy followed by outpatient therapy twice a week.  They agreed they could work with that time frame and agreed to send him home with a NG tube (tube in his nose) while we work with outpatient therapy to buy him a little more time.  I know the doctors we are currently with think we are insane...his pulmonologist in fact refuses to take care of him if he is home with a NG tube so we will have to find another one before we leave the hospital.

We are not against getting a G-button (feeding tube surgically place in his abdomen) for Bennett if that is what he needs, but we feel that we need to give him every opportunity possible to avoid surgery again.  I know someday I would have to explain the scar on his stomach and I need to be able to tell him that we tried everything possible.

So what this means for all of us is Bennett will be transported to Dallas on Thursday, I will move in with Bennett until he comes home next Friday, Jason will take care of Blake when he is not at work and our marvelous friend Laura will watch Blake while Jason is at work during the day.  I don't know if it truly takes a village to raise other people's kids, but it sure does for ours!

I finally feel at peace with this decision and I know it is the right decision for us!  The best part of us moving Bennett is Blake can come visit him...I finally get to see my babies together since they were 3 weeks old and hold them together for the first time...something I have been longing for since they were born!  It will be a great week!!!!
Bennett on the 4th of July...he fell asleep in his bouncy seat watching his Baby Einstein DVD!

Bennett and one of his FAVORITE nurses Gwen!  I know when she's taking care of him that he gets the best care and most love possible!  She is his Aunt GiGi :-)


Mom and Blake cuddling on the couch

Mom and Bennett having some quality time!

No comments:

Post a Comment