Friday, January 7, 2011

Beloved MeMe

My sweet MeMe (grandmother) was admitted to the hospital last week for her PT/INR (the time it takes her blood to clot) being too long.  Generally this is a simple fix and we thought she would be out of the hospital in a few days.  While she was there she was diagnosed with a broken femur that happened at the nursing home a few days earlier while an aide was transferring her from her wheelchair to her bed.  They had to do a CT scan to diagnosis the fracture and while they were putting her in the scanner they caught her right upper arm between the scanner and the table and gave her a huge skin tear.  A few days later she started to develop abdominal pain and refused to eat or drink.  At this point we thought she was taking a turn for the worse and the physicians could not find a explination for her abdominal pain.  After all she went through last March and April with a intestinal blockage, a stay in the ICU intubated and awake, a long stay in a rehab facility and fighting C-Diff for 5 months we decided it wasn't fair to her to ask her to stay here with us any longer.  She has told us many times over the past few months that she is done here in this life and it has been evident that she is ready to go this time. 

My dear MeMe just a few days before Christmas

MeMe has been concerned about "her babies" the past few times I have seen her.  She always ask me if I am taking care of them and last night she told me to speed them up getting here.  The other day she wasn't completely with it (or maybe she was) and saw 2 red headed children...who knows maybe she got to meet them before the rest of us.  

Yesterday MeMe would wake up briefly and talk to you and today she sometimes opens her eyes when you talk to her.  She is taking a few drops of water every few hours, but is no longer eating.  She doesn't appear to be in pain despite her broken femur and has told us all many times that she loves us. 

Despite how hard her hospitalization was last March, I am thankful that I had that time to realize that she will not be with us forever.  I got to tell her how much she means to me and to thank her for putting up with me for so long.  I don't want her to go, but I am much more at peace with what is happening now than if it would have happened a year ago.  I believe these babies will have one more angel watching over them soon to make sure they get here safe, sound and not too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment