Saturday, January 8, 2011

Meme is Home

Not long after I posted last night Meme passed away at 5:20pm.  She went from having a normal heart rate and respirations and I looked up and noticed she was breathing very slow.  I went to her bedside and she didn't respond when I called her name.  I told my cousin to get our moms out of the hallway and as soon as she knew we were all in the room she took her last breath.  She made it look so easy.  She wasn't in pain, she didn't struggle to breath and she looked so comfortable...she just went to sleep, how we all hope to leave this world.  It's hard to be sad that she is gone since I know she is so happy now.  She is with her son Johnny who passed away at 10 years old.  I think he was there to take her home last night...she had a conversation with him a few hours before she passed.  She has missed him so much for the past 50 years.

Johnny

It's funny how the timing of things happen.  I am so thankful all of this happened before I go into the hospital in a week.  I would not have missed being with my Meme in her last moments for the world and if I did I would have regretted it for the rest of my life.  I was able to tell her as she took her last breath that I loved her, I thanked her for everything she had done for me and I told her to go watch after "her babies" as she calls them and make sure they get here safe and sound...all things I wanted to tell her and I'm glad I got the opportunity.

We went to the funeral home today to plan Meme's service for Tuesday.  All she has ever asked for is to wear white gloves, she hated the way her hands looked as she got older, and to have bag pipes played at her funeral...she will have both.

I have spent this evening looking for photos for a slide show for her viewing Monday evening and I can't help but smile at all of the wonderful times she has had.  Here are just a few pictures I found...
Meme as a baby



Meme and her husband Rufus

4 Generations of Mangum women...yes the cute baby is ME! :-)

Meme at her surprise 81st birthday...She loved roses

Meme at my wedding.  She worked so hard to make sure she was able to be there.
Meme at my cousin Meredith's wedding in March.  Meredith and Bryen got married in Meme's room at HEB hospital a week before the scheduled wedding so Meme could be there...at that time we weren't sure she would make it through surgery a few days later.

A picture of Meme from Meredith's wedding that we got from her photographer today.  He edited the photo to remove the tube from her nose and the hospital equipment from the background.  I know this had to take him quite a while.  It's such a nice surprise when people go above and beyond what is asked of them.  I love this picture of her.

Meme, you were the best grandmother anyone could ask for, we will miss you, but we are so happy that you are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment