Sunday, April 17, 2011

First Week Home with Blake

Our first week home with Blake has flown by!  We came home Monday, went to the pediatrician for his first well visit Tuesday and made our fist trip to Jason's parents house with him yesterday for dinner.  We have also made it to the hospital everyday to see Bennett, which is something I hope we can continue to do.  I will be so proud to tell him that we never missed a day coming to see him!

It has taken a bit of adjusting to having a baby in the house that wants to eat every 3 hours, but I think we are managing pretty well...not sure that will be true when we have 2 at home though!  Having one baby at home is totally doable and isn't that life altering, but 2 will be a different story.  I'm sure we will have good tales to tell when the boys are older!  Even though I'm not sure what we will do when both boys are home, I can't wait for Bennett to be here so our family will be complete at home.  It's hard to be at home having fun with Blake (taking pictures, going for first outings, etc.) and know that Bennett isn't a part of it.  I hate for them to have different "firsts".  I know Bennett will have his time for all of his first adventures with mom and dad, he just needs a little more time to keep getting better and letting his little lungs grow.  He has come so far in 3 weeks and we are amazed by him every day.

Bennett is still on the bubble CPAP this week.  He ranges anywhere from 23-29% on his oxygen.  It's been a little difficult for Jason and I when we have gone to see him this week because he seems to do worse when we are with him.  The nurses tell us that his oxygen sats are great and then we show up and he goes down in to the 70's and 80's.  The doctors aren't concerned that he has needed a little extra oxygen this week and said it's par for the course.  They have increased his feeds to 44 cc's every 3 hours and he is tolerating them well.  Last night he weighed 5 pounds 2 ounces!  He's had a pretty nasty diaper rash this week that is finally starting to clear up.  The occupational therapist started splinting his left wrist, in addition to his right elbow, every 3 hours.  He tends to pull his left wrist down and she said it can be sign of radial nerve entrapment.  I also found out from his nurse when I was visiting Wednesday that he has a inguinal hernia that may have to be repaired before he comes home.  It feels like the list of things he needs done to him just keeps getting longer and longer...I can't wait for the day that he has no list at all!  I know that will make him happy too!


Sweet boy taking a nap!

Bennett at 3 weeks old!  We took him his mobile from their crib for his birthday present!

Bennett's "room"

3 weeks old!

Blake has been doing great at home.  This week he has almost doubled the amount he is eating.  He is eating 2 ounces at almost all of his feedings.  This morning Jason put him in a newborn onsie for the first time and it fit!  He is getting so big!  He weighed 4 pounds 13 ounces at the doctor on Tuesday...I'm sure he is closer to the 5 pound mark by now.  It is such a joy to have Blake home and to be able to do what we want when we want with him.  If he is hungry before his 3 hours is up we feed him, no one can tell us we can't hold him or that we can't give him a bath because it hasn't been 3 days!  Overall he is a calm, even tempered little guy.  He really doesn't cry unless you are changing him or he is hungry.  He is such a joy and we love just sitting and watching him...it's way more entertaining than TV!

This eating stuff is hard work!

3 week old picture.  We bought monkeys for both of the boys to take their pictures by so we can watch them grow.  The blue bear is from friends in Italy...they had their names put on both of the bears...they are so cute!

"Geeze mom...haven't we taken enough pictures"

My favorite time with Blake...tummy time in bed with mom.  He is a great snuggler!

B-Dizzle...Blake's alter ego!

First trip to Grandmother's and Poppy's

First time at home in his room with mom...Hunter isn't quite sure what to think!

All dressed up for our first trip to see Dr. Brown


First time to fit in a newborn onsie!

Daddy and Blake talking about finishing his bottle...Blake won!

As for Jason and I we are doing well.  A little sleep deprived and slower at getting out of the house, but that's expected I guess.  Jason is going back to work this week until Bennett comes home, so Blake and I will have to fly solo...scary I know!  It has been so nice this week to be totally on my own and independent.  I have gone to the store for myself and even gotten my eyebrows waxed for the first time since December (made me feel like a new woman!)!  I appreciate everyone who did things for Jason and I while I was in the hospital and we couldn't have made it without the help and generosity of all of our friends and family, but it was just so nice to not have to rely on someone 24 hours a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment