Monday, April 18, 2011

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Yesterday Jason and I went to visit Bennett together while my mom came to stay with Blake.  When we got there the nurse told us they did a chest x-ray because he had been needing extra oxygen and they found that he has fluid on his lungs.  The doctor said the fluid is due to his lungs being immature and that it is not uncommon for this to happen.  She ordered 2 doses of lasix to help get rid of the fluid.  He went from 5 pounds 2 ounces to 4 pounds 15 ounces with just 2 doses.  I called to check on Bennett this morning and the nurse told me that they had to turn his pressure up on his CPAP from 6 to 7, which the nurse yesterday told us is borderline for having to go back on the vent...my worst nightmare for him.  You could just see the dispair in his eyes when he was on the vent and I would do anything for him not to have to go back through that.  The nurse today said they have his oxygen between 30 and 33% and that the doctor today ordered daily lasix and another chest x-ray tomorrow.  He is still feisty and temperamental which is good.  They tell you to expect set backs while you are in the NICU and I guess I thought after such progress day after day that we were going to be the ones to keep going forward and never go back.  I just hope for Bennett's sake that this is as far back as he is going to go.  Jason is going to go see him after work today and I will go up during the day tomorrow to visit...maybe some good ole TLC from mom and dad will help pull him through!

No comments:

Post a Comment